Land Use and Zoning Approvals
Schkolnick Law represents property owners and developers in site plan, subdivision and variance applications.
- Represented developer/contract purchaser in 62-unit, transit oriented mixed use project in downtown Fanwood, with affordable component
- Represented owner in 90 unit residential project in Union City
- Represented houses of worship in applications in Dover, Passaic, Plainfield, Elizabeth, West Orange
- Represented contract purchaser in eight unit subdivision application in Montclair, with demolition of historic structure
- Represented car dealership in Linden seeking to expand facility
Prerogative Writ Litigation
Schkolnick Law litigates prerogative writ matters.
- Multiple law suits against planning board seeking to overturn denial of variance-free planning board application, resulting in settlement and approval of 74 units, over strenuous objection by Mayor
- Defended developer in action brought by local board of education seeking to overturn a board of adjustment approval of an eight unit townhouse project in Edison
Redevelopment Designations and Objections
Schkolnick Law represents owners/developers either seeking or objecting to redevelopment designations.
- Represented owner of drug rehab center, objecting to ‘area in need’ of redevelopment designation. After litigation, municipality withdrew designation
- Represented owner of aging retail strip center, with town withdrawing “condemnation” designation and proceeding only with “non condemnation” designation
- Represented planning boards in multiple ‘area of need’ designations
Site Plan Approvals, Subdivisions and Variances
Schkolnick Law secures entitlements in all asset classes.
- Secured site plan approvals for 400,000 square foot warehouse in Newark
- Secured hundreds of zoning approvals for cell towers and rooftop installations on behalf of national wireless carriers and tower companies
- Led approval team for the rehabilitation of ten Wendy’s restaurants throughout the State
House of Worship Representation
Schkolnick Law represents houses of worship in land use matters, aggressively asserting the protections afforded by both New Jersey law and the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act of 2000 (RLUIPA).
- Represented houses of worship in applications in Passaic, Dover, Maplewood, Plainfield, Elizabeth, West Orange, Shrewsbury
Zoning Due Diligence/Feasibility Studies
Schkolnick Law represents clients evaluating development deals and government approval ‘packages,’ and helps conduct zoning feasibility studies.
- Represented national investment fund in purchases of multiple shopping centers throughout the State
- Represented investors seeking to determine development potential of development sites
Schkolnick Law represents property owners in eminent domain/condemnation matters.
- Successfully represented Township of West Orange in litigation at the New Jersey Supreme Court, setting the standard by which courts evaluate a “public purpose”
- Secured payments from government agencies exceeding initial offer
- Negotiated with government agency seeking roadway widening
Real Estate Litigation
Schkolnick Law brings its real property experience to real estate and public contracts litigation.
- Litigated dispute between competing wireless management companies and South Jersey Transportation Authority over valuable 10-year agreement to manage cell towers and market government property to wireless carriers
- Secured Law Division decision overturning denial by Planning Board of an application with multiple variances
Schkolnick Law takes advantage of a large network of political and governmental contacts to solve problems and create value.
- Presented policy arguments to a variety of governmental officials to support public bids for cell towers
- Interfaced with local officials to support monetization of cell tower leases